The Articles on Board the Revenge
Under Captain John Phillips
- Every Man shall obey civil Command; the Captain shall have
one full Share and a half in all Prizes; the Master, Carpenter, Boatswain
and Gunner shall have one Share and quarter.
- If any Man shall offer to run away, or keep any Secret from
the Company, he shall be marroon'd, with one Bottle of Powder, one Bottle of
Water, one small Arm, and Shot.
- If any Man shall steal any Thing in the Company, or game,
to the Value of a Piece of Eight, he shall be marroon'd or shot.
- If at any Time we should meet another Marroner that Man
that shall sign his Articles without the Consent of our Company, shall
suffer such Punishment as the Captain and Company shall think fit.
- That Man that shall strike another whilst these Articles
are in force, shall receive Moses's Law (that is, 40 Stripes lacking one) on
the bare Back.
- That Man that shall snap his Arms, or smoak Tobacco in the
Hold, without a Cap to his Pipe, or carry a Candle lighted without a
Lanthorn, shall suffer the same Punishment as in the former Article.
- That Man that shall not kep his Arms clean, fit for an
Engagement, or neglect his Business, shall be cut off from his Share, and
suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.
- If any Man shall lose a Joint in time of an Engagement,
shall have 400 Pieces of Eight; if a Limb, 800.
- If at any time you meet with a prudent Woman, that Man that
offers to meddle with her, without her Consent, shall suffer present Death.